NZPERF - Projects & Applications
The Foundation welcomes applications from pharmacists from all areas of the profession who want support to undertake practice-related research.
Some examples of projects that received funding in 2020/2021 are:
- Public’s perception, impression and expectation of community pharmacies in the wake of COVID-19
- What is preventing the development of the Pharmacy Accuracy Checking Technician workforce?
- Evaluate the use of Standing Orders to initiate therapy for HIV Prevention (PrEP) as an extension of community pharmacy services
- Dual drug loaded nanoparticles to eradicate cancer stem cells in HER2 breast cancer
- Development of an in situ forming injectable gel for intratumoural oxygen delivery
- New Zealand pharmacists’ attitudes towards medically assisted dying
Grants held by NZPERF
Each year the NZPERF Board provides funding of $18,000 to each School of Pharmacy for summer studentships.
Otago University receives three grants of $6,000 each for students undertaking the BPharm Honours programme.
The funds awarded in 2020 covered the following studies:
- What is a safe dose of metformin for patients receiving intermittent hemodiafiltration?
- Pharmacists’ perceptions of their working conditions in New Zealand
- What constitutes evidence for over the counter medicines? A cross sectional survey of New Zealand community pharmacists
Auckland University receives three summer studentships of $6,000 each and the studies for 2020/2021 were:
- Bleeding risk for patients on anticoagulants with cirrhosis
- A thermogelling system for the sustained, localised intratympanic delivery of ascorbic acid
- Quantification of pharmaceutical waste: A pilot study
The following University Summer Studentships have been undertaken and detailed reports are held by NZPERF. If you would like further information please contact the Secretary, Jess Morrison - email@example.com
The Trust Deed specifies that the purpose of the Foundation is to stimulate advances in pharmacy education and research in New Zealand. Thus, grants are only made when the Board is of the opinion that the completion of the project will benefit pharmacy in this country. The Board does not normally fund applications for travel expenses incurred in the process of completing projects.
Guidelines For Applicants
- Applications must be submitted by 10th April or 10th October of each year.
- It is important that the completed application form complies with the quidelines specified in the grant application guidelines. If deadlines are not met grant applicants/holders risk ongoing and future funding.
- If a person is applying for funding for education, they need to show evaluation of outcomes and how these will be applied to pharmacy in New Zealand and not just personal development.
- A person who applies for a grant to undertake study overseas will be required to give an assurance that if a grant is made, he or she will return to New Zealand and remain involved with the profession of pharmacy for a subsequent period to be specified by the Board at the time the grant is awarded.
Download this editable Grant Application Form (it will automatically download) and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You now need to indicate if ethics approval has been obtained for your research.
- Applications are to be single sided.
- Methodology - this must be clear, and it is suggested that those not associated with a university should seek guidance from a university researcher.
- Use non-technical language and write the application for a general pharmacy audience.
- Publication costs in open access journals will be considered but will be capped at $750.00 and considered on a case by case basis.
To support you with your application here are a few helpful links for writing a grant application.
- How to Write a Good Research Funding Application
- Recommendations for writing successful Grant Proposals
- 12 Top Tips for Writing a Grant Application
Reporting Form for Grant Holders
If you require a Progress or Completed report form, download the editable Progress and Completed report forms and send to NZPERF.
NZPERF is not currently funding applications for PhD scholarships.
For further details contact
Pharmaceutical Society of New Zealand by email email@example.com
Applications close on 10th April and 10th October each year.