NZPERF - Projects & Applications
The Foundation welcomes applications from pharmacists from all areas of the profession who want support to undertake practice-related research.
Some examples of projects that received funding in 2017 are:
- Isothiocyanate inhibitors of macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) as a potential therapy for stroke
- Developments of fluorescent ligands for cannabinoid type one receptor
- Medication use in vulnerable, older adults: evaluating appropriateness and impact using routinely collected data
- The role of New Zealand community pharmacists in opioid substitution treatment
- Removing the "high" to treat methamphetamine addiction
- Understanding risks to patient care if current pharmacy funding is cut further- a look at the types of unfunded services that pharmacies provide to their patients
- An exploration of practices that enable undergraduate pharmacy students to develop patient-centred competencies
- Medicines Optimisation for Kaumatua - Understanding the needs of Kaumatua in relation to medicines optimisation services and well-being
Grants with published papers held by NZPERF
The following research grants produced published papers that are held at NZPERF office. If you require a copy or further details please contact the Secretary, email@example.com
Each year the NZPERF Board provides funding of $16,500 to each School of Pharmacy for summer studentships.
Otago University receives three grants of $5,500 each for students undertaking the BPharm Honours programme.
The funds awarded in 2017 covered the following studies:
- "Living with Medicines" in New Zealand
- A model for warfarin reversal using Vitamin K
- An evaluation of prescription abandonment in New Zealand
Auckland University receives three summer studentships of $5,500 each and the studies for 2017/2018 were:
- Systematic reviews of harms posed by the injection of non-parenteral and "tamper-proof" pharmaceutical preparations. Application of risks posed by the misuse of pharmaceuticals currently marketed in New Zealand
- Formulation and characterisation of novel peptide loaded hydrogel for topical delivery
- Effect of excipients on the stability of the extemporaneously compounded levothyroxine oral liquid
The following University Summer Studentships have been undertaken and detailed reports are held by NZPERF. If you would like further information please contact the Secretary, Katrina Neems - firstname.lastname@example.org
The Trust Deed specifies that the purpose of the Foundation is to stimulate advances in pharmacy education and research in New Zealand. Thus, grants are only made when the Board is of the opinion that the completion of the project will benefit pharmacy in this country. The Board does not normally fund applications for travel expenses incurred in the process of completing projects.
- All applications including the cover sheet must be typed, using the link NZPERF Grant Application form and Guidelines. These can also be obtained from the NZPERF Secretary.
- Applications must be submitted by 10th April or 10th October of each year.
- It is important that the completed application form complies with the requirements specified in the grant application guidelines. If deadlines are not met grant applicants/holders risk ongoing and future funding.
- If a person is applying for funding for education they need to show evaluation of outcomes and how these will be applied to pharmacy in New Zealand and not just personal development.
- A person who applies for a grant to undertake study overseas will be required to give an assurance that if a grant is made, he or she will return to New Zealand and remain involved with the profession of pharmacy for a subsequent period to be specified by the Board at the time the grant is awarded.
Download this editable form to your desktop, complete and send to NZPERF Grant Application Form . After you have saved the document, open and choose to either "Add comment" or click on the "typewriter icon", depending on what version you have to be able to add content.
- You now need to indicate whether or not ethics approval has been obtained for your research.
- Applications are to be single sided. Do not double side.
- Methodology - this must be clear and it is suggested that those not associated with a university should seek guidance from a university researcher.
- Publication costs in open access journals will be considered, but will be capped at $750.00 and considered on a case by case basis.
Reporting Form for Grant Holders
Download the editable Progress and Completed report forms to your desktop, complete and send to NZPERF. After you have saved the document, open and choose to either "Add comment" or click on the "typewriter icon", depending on what version you have to be able to add content.
NZPERF is not currently funding applications for PhD scholarships.
For further details contact
Pharmaceutical Society of New Zealand by email email@example.com
Applications close on 10th April and 10th October each year.