Urinary Tract Infections Management Accreditation Training - On Demand
- $80.00 incl. GST for PSNZ members
- $160.00 incl. GST for NZHPA members
- $160.00 incl. GST for non-members
About the product
This training has been developed to provide pharmacists with the knowledge to differentially diagnose UTIs and become accredited providers of nitrofurantoin and trimethoprim for the treatment of uncomplicated UTIs.
About this Learning Module
Learn about the signs and symptoms of urinary tract infections, recommended first-line treatment as well as the criteria for pharmacist supply of nitrofurantoin or trimethoprim.
You will learn how to identify when the supply of either would be appropriate and when referral to other health professionals is required. This training will also cover the side-effects, contraindications and interactions of nitrofurantoin and trimethoprim and how to counsel patients on the appropriate use.
The current antibiotic resistance situation with regards to trimethoprim and nitrofurantoin in New Zealand will also be discussed.
Only accredited pharmacists who successfully complete PSNZs 2022 training in the treatment of urinary tract infection management may sell nitrofurantoin or trimethoprim.
Dr Juliet Elvy
Juliet is a Clinical Microbiologist working for Southern Community Laboratories, Dunedin. She trained in the UK and moved to NZ in 2012.
Her many roles include providing microbiology services and advice to hospital and community providers throughout the Southern region as well as Nelson Marlborough, and Taranaki. She is deputy chair of the NZ Microbiology Network, and chairs the NZ National Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Committee and the Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia Microbiology Quality Assessment Program.
Her interests include antimicrobial resistance, antimicrobial and diagnostic stewardship and quality.
Upon completion of this course, pharmacists will be able to:
• Explain the criteria for pharmacist supplied treatment of uncomplicated urinary tract infection
• Identify the signs and symptoms of urinary tract infections (UTIs)
• List the side effects, contraindications, and interactions of nitrofurantoin
• List the side-effects, contraindications, and interactions of trimethoprim
• Recognise when the supply of nitrofurantoin may be appropriate and when it is not appropriate to supply
• Recognise when the supply of trimethoprim may be appropriate and when it is not appropriate to supply
• Counsel patients on the appropriate use of nitrofurantoin or trimethoprim
• Identify situations requiring referral to other health professionals
• Describe the current antimicrobial resistance situation with regards to trimethoprim and nitrofurantoin in New Zealand