The EVOLVE Intern Programme is the next step to becoming a registered pharmacist in New Zealand. To join the programme, you must either be:
- An overseas registered pharmacist who has met the qualifications to be an intern pharmacist (as set by the Pharmacy Council of New Zealand) or
- A pharmacist who was formerly registered in New Zealand who is intending to return to the workforce
An intern pharmacist is a registered health professional who works under the Health Practitioners Competency Assurance Act 2003. You must complete your internship within 2 years of registration within the intern Scope of Practice.
Interns undertake supervised practice under an approved preceptor in an approved site. The site is approved by the Pharmacy Council and the preceptor is registered pharmacist who is trained and approved by the Pharmaceutical Society of New Zealand.
The purposes of the intern programme is to learn to apply theoretical knowledge in a patient centred environment, to develop confidence in communicating with the public and other health professionals, and gain experience of the situations and events that occur in the pharmacy workplace.
Experience tells us that interns who are eager to learn, have a professional attitude, make teamwork a priority and take on responsibility willingly get the most out of the intern programme and make excellent pharmacists. The more the intern puts in, the more they will benefit and achieve. Every intern is responsible for their own learning and achievement, with the aim of being eligible to apply for Registration as a Pharmacist on completion of their practical training.
WHAT ARE MY OBLIGATIONS?
As an Overseas Pharmacist or Return to work Pharmacist there are a number of requirements you must meet while enrolled in the EVOLVE Intern Programme. These must be met before being able to register in the Pharmacist Scope of Practice.
- Work a minimum of 30 hours per week at an approved training site (community or hospital pharmacy) under an approved preceptor. This must be paid employment and cannot be a volunteer position.
- Be available for meetings with your preceptor, including time outside of normal working hours if required
- Completing all coursework including assignments and appraisals provided by EVOLVE
- Be able to communicate effectively and comprehend English sufficiently for the purposes of practicing as an intern and a pharmacist as per the English Language requirements of the Pharmacy Council.
- Attending face-to-face Training Days during the year.
- Successfully completing the requirements of EVOLVE and the summative assessments of the Pharmacy Council
- Pay the Programme fee which covers all costs of the training programme, including attendance at and travel to and from Training Days and Assessment Centre.
- Interns must remain working in their site until Assessment Centre results are released.
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
Contact The Pharmacy Council about meeting their requirements before you commence your internship.
Then you'll need to find an intern training site. Once you have entered into an agreement with a site for your internship, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for details on enrolling in the Evolve Intern Programme.
Click here for a summary of the steps to entry in the EVOLVE Intern Programme