Accreditation Bundle - On Demand
- $160.00 incl. GST for PSNZ members
- $480.00 incl. GST for NZHPA members
- $480.00 incl. GST for non-members
About the event
All courses within this bundle have been provided by College Education and Training, a business unit of Pharmaceutical Society of New Zealand Inc.
We have developed our specially priced ‘Accreditation Bundle’ of all three women's health accreditation courses offered by PSNZ College Education and Training unit (Emergency Contraceptive Pill Training, Trimethoprim Accreditation Training and Selected Oral Contraceptives Reclassification) for a total price of $160 (pay for 2, get one free).
INTERNS PLEASE NOTE: Interns can only register and undertake the ECP, TMP and SOCs training courses after they have been issued a full Annual Practicing Certificate (in the pharmacist scope) from the Pharmacy Council of New Zealand.
Dr Orna McGinn
Only pharmacists who are accredited by the Pharmacy Council of New Zealand are able to supply the Emergency Contraceptive Pill (ECP) without prescription. College Education and Training provides the training programme which allows pharmacists to become accredited providers of the ECP.
Upon completion of this course, pharmacists will be able to:
- Describe the current barriers to access to contraception for New Zealand women
- Describe the incidence of unintended pregnancy and rates of abortion in New Zealand
- Explain the failure rates of current methods of contraception available in New Zealand
- Identify when patients are at risk of unintended pregnancy, and when emergency contraception is required - including missed pills, drug interactions which reduce efficacy
- Explain the menstrual cycle and its relevance to prescribing oral emergency contraception or recommending a postcoital IUD (PCIUD)
- Provide advice on the available methods of emergency contraception, including their mode of action, risks and their relative efficacy and discuss follow up as required
- Conduct a risk assessment, and refer women on to other services (eg sexual assault) as necessary
- Counsel women on other aspects of sexual and reproductive health, eg the need for ongoing contraception / STI screening
Dr Juliet Elvy
This On-Demand training is designed to allow pharmacists to become accredited providers of Trimethoprim. Only accredited pharmacists may sell Trimethoprim.
On completion of this course, pharmacists will be able to:
- Identify the signs and symptoms of urinary tract infections (UTI’s)
- List the side effects, contraindications and interactions of trimethoprim
- Identify when the supply of trimethoprim is appropriate
- Identify situations requiring referral to other health professionals
- Advise and counsel patients who require trimethoprim
- Describe the current antimicrobial resistance situation with regards to trimethoprim in New Zealand
Dr Kirstie Harris, Lucy Halsey and Bob Buckham
Only pharmacists who successfully complete this Pharmacy Council of New Zealand and Pharmaceutical Society of New Zealand approved training programme are able to supply the selected oral contraceptives without prescription. College Education and Training provides the training programme.
The first section of the course will take you through the clinical considerations such as the mechanism of action for oral contraception, advantages and disadvantages of use, the ‘generations’ of pills, contraindications, common drug interactions, rules around contraceptive safety. You will also learn about other forms of contraception and have a brief overview of sexually transmitted infections and cervical screening. You will also learn about how to conduct a pill teaching session.
The second section of the course will take you through the eligibility criteria, the SOCs available for pharmacist supply, clinical risk factors to consider, patient counselling and criteria to enable resupply. You will also learn about the regulatory requirements and professional obligations when supplying the SOCs as well as be guided to the supporting information, guidance and tools.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
Payment must be received before your course materials will be made available to you. Confirmation and access details will be forwarded to your preferred email address once your registration has been processed.
Access to this online course will expire six months after payment is received.
By enrolling in this training, you are confirming that all work undertaken within this training programme and assessment answers are your own. If there are grounds to believe that cheating or plagiarism has occurred, we will investigate and your work may be disallowed and you will be unable to complete the training.