Nutrition in Pharmacy Practice: What, Why and How
- $58.00 incl. GST for members
- $115.00 incl. GST for non-members
- Save to my calendar
About the event
This course is provided by College Education and Training, a business unit of Pharmaceutical Society of New Zealand Inc.
The Live Webinar will take place at 7.30pm on Wednesday 5th May 2021.
If you are unable to make it to the live event, a recording of the webinar will be provided on the course page within a few days.
If you are interested in bundling this learning, please check out registration for our Wellbeing Kete.
(The Wellbeing Kete consists of 4 learning modules, with the overarching theme of patient wellbeing, bundled together so you can "buy three and get one free").
Poor nutrition is a leading cause of health loss in New Zealand, contributing to many chronic diseases including cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity and many cancers. This webinar will explore opportunities for pharmacists to play a key role in supporting individuals and communities with healthy dietary shifts, answering questions such as:
- What factors influence reliable, equitable access to healthy food?
- Why is nutrition an emerging priority for pharmacists?
- How can pharmacists incorporate nutrition support within community or hospital settings?
Attendees will gain access to practical tools and learn about key messages from the recently updated NZ Eating and Activity Guidelines, including the need to promote both healthy and environmentally sustainable eating patterns, in a way that is socioculturally acceptable and economically accessible for all.
Presented By - Hannah O’Malley
Hannah is a registered pharmacist and Certified Lifestyle Medicine Practitioner (ASLM) based in Nelson. In addition to her pharmacy qualifications (BPharm, PG Cert Clinical Pharmacy), Hannah also has a certificate in plant-based nutrition from e-Cornell and founded The Better Base in 2018 to provide tools and support to help more people eat healthy, sustainable foods. She enjoys working with others to advocate for better food policies and raise awareness of lifestyle medicine as a first line treatment, before or alongside medication.
On completion of this webinar, participants will -
- Be able to broadly describe the relative impact of dietary risks on health loss in New Zealand
- Recognise basic links between food, human health and environmental health
- Identify the role pharmacists can play in promoting healthy nutrition
- Apply key references and guidelines to develop healthy eating messages for individuals and communities
- Define Lifestyle Medicine and discuss how it can be applied in a clinical pharmacy setting
- Identify resources to support patients with healthier eating patterns
- Identify ways to develop further skills in nutrition and lifestyle medicine
Non Member Registration
Non PSNZ members can register for this event. Please note you will need to register as a user on the PSNZ website before you can register to attend the event. Look for the "New user? Register now" option at the bottom of the Login screen.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Cancellations will not be accepted; the course fee may be transferred to another course or person depending on the situation and advised in writing, but no refunds are available.
Expired registrations will not be refunded. By submitting this application you agree to these terms and conditions.
By enrolling in this training, you are confirming that all work undertaken within this training programme and assessment answers are your own. If there are grounds to believe that cheating or plagiarism has occurred, we will investigate and your work may be disallowed and you will be unable to complete the training.