What we do
The Pharmaceutical Society of New Zealand Inc. (the Society) is the professional association representing
over 3,700 pharmacists from all sectors of pharmacy practice. We provide pharmacists with professional
support, representation, training for continuing professional development, integration frameworks tools, and
assistance to enable them to deliver to all New Zealanders the best pharmaceutical practice and
professional services in relation to medicines. The Society focuses on the important role pharmacists and
their teams have in medicines management and in the safe and quality use of medicines. The Society
strongly supports the five key strategic themes of the New Zealand Health Strategy and the implementation
of the Pharmacy Action Plan.
The Society's work on behalf of the profession is guided by six key objectives:
- Strengthen the capability of Pharmacists to provide high quality professional practice in the delivery of services.
- Enable, cultivate and support innovation and medicines management in Pharmacy practice.
- Drive change to ensure Pharmacists provide people-centred care across a wide range of practice settings.
- Provide leading edge education and training for pharmacists, technicians, interns and other health professionals.
- Develop leadership capabilities and ensure the workforce evolves to reflect future health professional requirements.
- Promote the role of the Pharmacist as the medicines expert in the healthcare team.
Our member services below contribute to all of these objectives.