EVOLVE PROGRAMME OVERVIEW
Interns are supervised by preceptor pharmacists and assessed to Pharmacy Council of New Zealand Competence Standards during their Intern year.
An intern in the programme must be employed by an approved community or hospital pharmacy and their training during the programme is supervised by a qualified preceptor pharmacist.
Key information for interns undertaking the EVOLVE programme
- Applications open 31st October 2018 and close 28 January 2019.
- The programme runs 1 February to mid-December each year
- The programme must be completed within 2 years of gaining a B.Pharm.
- Minimum of 44 weeks of supervised practice required.
- Minimum of 35 hours/week in practice. This must be paid employment as an intern pharmacist.
- You must be working in an approved site under an approved preceptor pharmacy.
- Interns are assessed against PCNZ Competence Standards.
- The programme content is delivered online
- Interns attend two sets of three face to face Training Day workshops
The Pharmacy Council of New Zealand expects all intern pharmacists to continue to work in their intern training site until their registration results are confirmed, which is mid-December of the year of the programme.
Achieving Competency: The EVOLVE programme, and preceptor guided workplace training help develop the intern's competency.
Assessments are based on evidence gathered during the year, including on-the-job appraisals and written assignments and portfolios.
Preceptors assist interns to achieve competence.
Preceptors assist their interns by providing appropriate resources and guidance to meet the standards. Of the three appraisals during the year, two are formative and the final one is a summative assessment. The assessments during the programme help guide the focus of future learning and form a base for feedback to the intern on how they are progressing.