PSNZ Continuing Education (CE) Accreditation Policy and Standards for providers of continuing education
A structured process is provided to enable formal Pharmaceutical Society of NZ accreditation and endorsement of learning activities delivered by external providers that support the maintenance and development of professional competence as defined in the Competence Standards for the Pharmacy Profession . The Society does not accredit or endorse any CE organisation.
The accreditation of CE activities provides an assurance to pharmacists and other stakeholders that an activity has been reviewed for its educational quality and for its relevance to professional pharmacy practice. CE can be either accredited or non-accredited. The Pharmacy Council of NZ currently does not require that all or any part of a pharmacist’s learning is accredited, however, where non-accredited activities are undertaken, it is the individual pharmacist’s responsibility to assess potential activities for suitability and relevance to their area of practice and to determine whether their learning needs and goals will be addressed by undertaking these activities.
The Society has developed CE Accreditation Standards (January 2015) against which all accredited learning activities are assessed. These Standards define measurable attributes for all PSNZ accredited or endorsed CE activities . CE providers must meet all the criteria outlined in these Standards for accreditation of their activities and remain accountable for the quality of the learning activities they offer.
Accreditation or endorsement of CE activities:
- assures their quality, consistency, impartiality and integrity
- provides pharmacists with a reliable basis to select quality activities
- promotes the provision of appropriate, high quality continuing education to support improved evidence based pharmacy practice
- ensures their alignment with the intent of the ENHANCE programme and that they are relevant to NZ practice
The following documents outline the Society's requirements and provide more information for the accreditation or endorsement of learning activities.
The CE Accreditation Policy outlines the Society’s policy on the formal accreditation of CE activities provided by CE education providers.It details the process that education providers should follow to apply for approval or endorsement of their learning activity.
- CE Accreditation Standards
- must be read in conjunction with the CE Accreditation Policy. They provide a validated structure against which CE activities are evaluated and approved. To be approved, a learning activity must demonstrate that it satisfies all of the Accreditation Standards. The application and supporting evidence must demonstrate how the activity meets each of these Standards.
Application forms and information
- Application Guide for Accreditation or Endorsement of Continuing Education (CE) Activities
- Accreditation Application Form (Group 2 activities incl assessment)
- Endorsement Application Form (Group 1 activities – no assessment)
- Please contact ENHANCE for a copy of these forms if you cannot open them.
- Group 2 learning activities and assessment
- Learning objectives
- Using MCQ's for assessment of continuing education
- Summary Evaluation Template
- Evaluation Form Template